In order to fulfill its mission of providing public access to information of all types in a wide variety of formats, the Moffat Library of Washingtonville provides access to Internet resources (ALA’s “Access to Electronic Information, Services, and Networks: an Interpretation of the Library Bill of Rights”). In doing so, the Library does not monitor and has no control over the information accessed through the Internet and assumes responsibility only for the information on its home page.
The Internet offers access to many valuable local, national and international sources of information. However, some information found on the Internet may be inaccurate, incomplete, dated, or offensive to some individuals. A good information consumer must evaluate the validity and appropriateness of the information found.
Who is Eligible
* Anyone with a valid RCLS library card may use the computers. Preference is given to Moffat Library cardholders.
* Children under the age of 12 must have a parent or guardian present to assist with using the computer and observing this policy.
* All users must have a signed copy of the Moffat Library Internet Policy Agreement on file at the time of use. Users between the ages of 12 and 18 must also have had this form signed by a parent or guardian. A parent or guardian needs to sign the agreement at the library.
* Users are required to sign in at the circulation desk before using the Internet. The patron must leave his/her library card with a library staff member during each appointment. The card must be free of fines and overdue items. Cards will be returned when the session is completed.
* No more than two people may use an Internet workstation at any one time. Both users must have a valid RCLS library card and a signed copy of the Moffat Library Internet Policy Agreement on file.
* Internet reservations may be made by telephone or in person during library hours. Reservations are for half-hour sessions.
* All computer workstations are turned off fifteen minutes before closing.
* If you cancel an appointment, you must do so before the appointment begins.
* Patrons who are more than ten minutes late for a reservation will forfeit their time.
* Walk-ins are allowed whenever the computers are free.
* Patrons may not use the Internet for more than two consecutive sessions at a time, or more than two hours a week.
* While staff will be glad to offer searching suggestions and answer questions to assist you in getting to the right place on the “superhighway,” they cannot provide in-depth training concerning Internet computer use. To assist you in your use of Internet resources we have provided a Moffat Library Homepage and the list of bookmarked sites Internet Resources which will identify specific starting points for searches which are appropriate to the library’s mission and service roles.
* Users may not use their own software, hardware, or peripherals.
* Users must allow themselves at least ten minutes before the end of their appointment to print or save their work. All copies are $.10 per page. Please pay at the circulation desk.
* Users may not download or save any files to the library computer’s hard drive.
* Computer settings and configurations may not be changed.
* Public use of recreational chat rooms, IM (instant messaging), game sites, newsgroups or other interactive services (excluding e-mail) is prohibited.
* Misuse or abuse of Internet access will result in immediate suspension of Internet access privileges. Staff on duty have the right to cancel or interrupt the use of the Internet at any time.
These rules are subject to change at any time.